Sports Shop History
The roots of our shop go back to 1945, when it was originally called Fletcher’s Fly Shop. It was started by George Fletcher who left his vocation as a teacher in nearby Kingfield to pursue his passion with flies. Fletcher had become good friends with Carrie Stevens and became her primary feather and hook supplier from the time he opened until the end of her career. Around 1960, the business was moved to its present location and in 1962 was purchased by Gerry and Gertrude Richards, who changed the name to the Rangeley Region Sports Shop.
The Richards developed it into a four season shop and started a catalog business. In 1976, it was purchased by Dick Frost, a local tier, rod maker, and guide. The catalog and trade show business that had been started by Gertrude continued under the Frosts, and rod making was added to the shop. From then until now, different owners have come and gone. The shop at one point became strictly a fly shop and then back to a full service sports shop.
A lot has changed since the shop’s beginnings more than 60 years ago. We now do licenses online and women come in looking for feathers to put in their hair. Some things change, but others stay the same. People still come from all over to fish and hunt and enjoy the outdoors and become part of the tradition – in the land of fishing legends.